Preparing for traveling:
1- The Items that not allowed to bring them from Oman
- Food (if you want to bring Halwa or dates it should have expiration dates)
- Honey (The Australian law don’t allow any honey to bring it from foreign countries)
- Tobacco (The Tax for tobacco is high they just allowed two packets of tobacco, if you want to bring tobacco you must pay the tax and declare it)
- The violence videos or pictures
- animal products
- Medicines for personal use are allowed However, one must carry a letter or copy of the prescription (written in English)
- The Australian border is so strict on those items we mentioned them.
2- The important papers you should copy it
- The visa
- The health insurance
- The courses plan
- Your address (Homestay, apartment, or share house…ect)
3- The Items that we recommend to bring from Oman
- Choose the perfect clothes (The summer start in Dec and end in Feb, Opticom start in Mars to May, the Winter start in June till Aug and the Spring start in Sep till Nov)
- If you have any Medicines or a disease such as Asthma you should bring a medical certificate to approve your situation.
4- The most important thing is the Immigration Card or Incoming Passenger Card (IPC)
- A passenger card is a document providing passenger identification and an effective record of a person’s entry to Australia.
- In the way to Australia the cabin crew will give you this card
- You must read the card and answer it carefully
- you will need to complete before passing through the customs area.
- We highly suggest you declare all the items you are bringing to Australia
After you arrive:
1- health insurance card:
- They will get the card in the orientation day (first day)
- Make sure that they have their documents with them (passport, visa, health insurance…)
2- Transport card which called SmartRider:
- you need to make sure that the type card is concession.
- you can make your card normal card or autoload enables a direct debit to be made automatically from a nominated bank account or credit card to your SmartRider when the balance on your card falls below the low-value threshold of $3 for concession users.
- You will get the card form in your first day at university or Institute so make sure that you have all your documents with you if they did mention about the card go and ask the reception.
3- Bank account: applying for a student bank account,
I would recommend opening your bank account with one of these banks:
1. Commonwealth Bank
3.National Australian Bank (NAB)
4.Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ)
What do you need to open a bank account?
- One or two forms of photo ID: such as a passport or driver’s licence.
- Proof of address: such as a recent utility bill or bank statement.
- Proof of student status: a letter of acceptance from your university, or UCAS offer letter or if you have uni ID card
Do not forget to tell the bank that you want to open a student account
you need to make sure that your account has the following:
- No monthly accounts service fee
- No overdrawn fees
- zero annual fees on the student credit cards
- zero establishment fees
SIM card, make sure you take with you:
- Drivers licence if you have.
- Medicare card.
- Visa (just encase if they will ask about it)
Wishing everyone a safe flight and journey